Monday, March 14, 2011

Meatless Monday: Gram's Bread and Butter Pickles



I hated bread and butter pickles when I was little. The variety they served in restaurants was cloyingly sweet and weirdly yellow and did not make my sandwiches better. My grandmother's homemade ones are very different, very fresh, and very good.

I don't remember that she ever bothered with canning these for real, but they're tasty as soon as they're cold and keep nicely in the fridge. I eat them on sandwiches sometimes, but mostly just straight out of the jar. I hope you make some for yourselves this Spring! 

Here's her recipe, verbatim:
  • 4 good-sized cucumbers, sliced           
  • 9 or so onions, thinly sliced     
  • 2 Tb. mustard seed
  • 2 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1/3 cup salt                         
  • 2 tsp. celery seed
  • 3 cups cider vinegar             
  • 1 tsp. powdered ginger
  • 1 tsp. black peppercorns       
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  1. Mix the cukes, onions, and salt in big bowl; cover top with ice cubes.
  2. Let stand for 2 hrs.; drain, rinse, and drain again.
  3. Combine everything else with the vinegar in non-reactive(?) pot and bring to a boil.
  4. Add the cucumber and onion mixture, and return to boil again.
  5. Cook one minute and remove from heat.
(Pack in sterilized jars, etc.)
Enjoy!
Flynn

2 comments:

Jeffrey Doussan said...

Flynn, I love bread an butter pickles and these sound awesome. Feel free to send them to NOLA anytime! ~Jeffrey

flynn said...

Jeffrey - I owe you something for your hospitality anyhow; send me your address! I just made some of these today :)