Sunday, November 21, 2010

Meatless Monday: Vegan Slaw

Note: the friends for whom I cook are an essential part of Gasstronomy, but even more valuable are the friends who teach me how to cook. I've asked kitchen sage (pun very well intended) Flynn to bless us with a weekly lesson, from her own flavorful corner of the world, Vegetarianland. Once skeptic, I am now converted. Flynn's meatless style yields more flavor, better than most I have ever seen. Very tasty, indeed. 
.........................................................................................................
D is letting me do a Meatless Mondays post, but she might not have if she knew that I was going to talk at length about slaw. I can’t get into mayonnaise, but I chow down on vegan coleslaw, oh, two or three times a week. 



I love it. It’s crunchy, light , flavorful, made from a mass of raw, cheap, veg, and becomes a sort of relish-salad-condiment. For Thai tacos, swap in some rice vinegar and put in cilantro and a bit of lime and peanuts instead of the fruits. For barbeque sandwiches, regular green cabbage, poppy seeds and grated carrot are delicious. Since it’s close to the holidays I use cranberries and apples here. I’m told this version was lovely with turkey, but the dressing is really basic and it’s easy to change up the rest.

I like to shred my cabbage into ribbons that are thin as can be; half a pencil width at most. Slightly cooking the dressing with the onions mellows out their hot bite and wilts the cabbage. Salting the cabbage further wilts it and makes it a bit easier to get on your fork. Once you’ve made the dressing, dip a piece of the coleslaw into the dressing and taste; is it sweet, savory and piquant? If not, add more vinegar, honey and mustard until it makes you happy.

Ingredients:
  • ½ large red cabbage, shredded finely
  • 1 apple, julienned
  • ½ cup fresh cranberries, chopped
  • ½ onion, sliced thinly
  • ¼ cup cider vinegar
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (or less, to taste)
  • 1 tsp salt, plus extra for draining
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 3-4 grinds black pepper
  • mustard – 1 tsp powdered or 1 tbsp fresh Dijon
Directions:
  1. Keeping each ingredient separate, thinly, thinly slice cabbage and onion, julienne apples and dice cranberries.  
  2. Toss cabbage with a palm-full of salt, and set in a colander to drain.
  3. In a small saucepan, add the onion along with the vinegar, honey, pepper, and mustard, if dry until just boiling (or microwave for 1 minute). If using fresh mustard, add it after the dressing has stopped cooking. Set aside.
  4. Combine all ingredients. 
  5. Refrigerate if not eating immediately. Serves 6 generously. Keeps well up to a week.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Apples to slaw? AMAZING idea! That would be yummy on leftover turkey sandwiches.

The poppyseed version you described also got me excited...

flynn said...

Thanks, D! Pun away!

Danielle said...

I can attest to the poppyseed version. It's amazing with Flynn's veggie buffalo something-or-other sandwiches.

Denise said...

Oh my, I just made this, exactly as written except with green cabbage. I think I ate 3 cups straight from the mixing bowl! I think im going to add some of this pomegranate I have too... Thank you!

Denise said...

Just made this for probably the 8th time:) Subbed sherry vinegar instead of cider, skipped mustard powder and instead used a bit of low-fat bleu cheese (because that's how we roll up here). Served with grilled chicken sausage and grilled pears, with plenty of dijon on the side. Yum!